Sunday, November 11

Belt Manana

As expected, was wonderful.
They played spectacularly, and had a giant stuffed spider.
I met a lot of people there who I've seen around at shows (i.e. we spoke)
They're pretty nice, and I'll probably be seeing them around often.
Daughters opened, a local grindcore band.
They were okay, the singer was wasted.
But he always is, so I hear.

Melt Banana played spectacularly (of course)
And the crowd was good --but not as good.
I guess nothing will ever be that good.
Anyways, I had a bit more time to actually look at the band this time
And found some interesting things about the guitarists effects
That I had no idea about
Again, wish you guys were there.

Venue was nice too, fucking enormous.
Like the troubadour. But x4.
My friend's friend gave us a ride home. IN A CAR.
That was the first time ive been in a car since ive been here.
Boy, it was nice.
Also:

RIP
August 2006 - November 2007


"If I had to die any way, it would be at a Melt Banana show, rocking out to the very end."
-Dylan's Left Shoe


On a side note, I'm trying to get to New York the day after Thanksgiving, as I recently discovered that Black Dice will be playing, along with Wizarzz (feat. Brian Gibson of Lightningbolt). Black Dice is another one of those RISD bands. A lot of their stuff is droney noise--heck, one of the guys was room mates with Animal Collective, so you can really see it all tie together.

Anyways, interesting note: I was getting some more Black Dice today. I've always had their three newer cds, but never went further back. I've heard that their sound has changed a lot too. Today I finally got off my lazy ass (well, got on my lazy ass, in front of the computer) and found some old Black Dice. Holy shit, they weren't kidding when they said they changed. A lot. They went from some hardcore noise to a dance-drone. Either way, I like where they're going, and if you have the chance to see them (AHEM LOS ANGELES FOLKS), you should (Tuesday @ the ECHOPLEX with Mika Miko and that one other band; $10).
Massive sound change over the years exhibited below.

♬ Black Dice- Kokomo (2007)

♬ Black Dice- Studdered (1998)


2 comments:

SNJ said...

Wish I was there.

I CAN'T GO TUESDAY. MATH MIDTERM. ACK ACK ACK ACK ACK ACK ACK ACK ACK...ASC



sf


UGH!

was the pit any good?

colie said...

wait did you get belt manana from me or did i get that from you

also, let's see some art! i don't draw but today i drew 1/2 of david bowie's face using pointillism